wrestle with/ wrestle

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi,

If I had gone through a lot of difficulty, I might say:
[1] I've wrestled with a lot of problems, and gotten over them.
[2] I've tackled a lot of problems, and gotten over them.

But could I also say just 'wrestled' without 'with'?:
[3] I've wrestled a lot of problems, and gotten over them.

Hiro

• owlman5

English-US
    You could say that and be understood, Hiro, but using "wrestled with" would sound more idiomatic. People might want to jump in and "correct" your English if you used "I've wrestled a lot of problems."

This is an unfortunate reality for anyone who speaks more than one language. Native speakers sometimes assume you've made an error when you're just being creative. It's happened to me more than once. :)

HSS

Hello, owlman.

I've thought of just as much. My brain cells have registered the first two, but not the third, a lobe up there wanted to know if if it jcould be said.

Being creative is my middle name:). A lot of times I learn the right usage through the mistakes.

If your car started swerving on an icy road, however, you would try to wrestle it back into your lane. [transitive usage] Is this usage right?

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, owlman.

I've thought of just as much. My brain cells have registered the first two, but not the third, a lobe up there wanted to know if if it jcould be said.

Being creative is my middle name:). A lot of times I learn the right usage through the mistakes.

If your car started swerving on an icy road, however, you would try to wrestle it back into your lane. [transitive usage] Is this usage right?
    That one sounds perfectly idiomatic, my friend. :)

HSS

Thanks, owlman.

Just an aside, no matter how hard I tried to erase the 'j' in front of the 'could,' it kept right on coming back. So I just let it stay as it was. I couldn't delete the unnecessary 'if,' either.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >