Wrinkle ranch

Trisia

Romanian
Hello,

I recently saw "wrinkle ranch" mentioned in a chat room, so naturally I asked what it was. They claimed it's Canadian/US slang for an institution for eldelry people. Is it really? On the web, wrinkle ranch was a place where they breeded pugs...

By the way, what do you really call those institutions? Something with "home"?

Thanks!

• Thomas Tompion

Member Emeritus
    English - England
    Hello,

I recently saw "wrinkle ranch" mentioned in a chat room, so naturally I asked what it was. They claimed it's Canadian/US slang for an institution for eldelry people. Is it really? On the web, wrinkle ranch was a place where they breeded pugs...

By the way, what do you really call those institutions? Something with "home"?

Thanks!
    Some rather irreverent people call anyone over about 50 a wrinckly, so I wouldn't be surprised if you are right, Trisia.

The euphemism-mongers produce many expressions.

Old People's home is what I was brought up on, but I expect that's too bald for the new generation.

Trisia

Romanian
    Ah, thank you so much.

Interesting word, "wrinckly":eek:. Yes, I suppose that must be it then. I asked and UK natives denied knowledge of such an expression. I guess the word "ranch" points directly at Americans (BE natives would have probably used "farm").:D

idialegre

USA English
    The euphemism-mongers produce many expressions.

Well, if "wrinkle ranch" is a euphemism, I'd hate to hear the derogatory term! :eek:

Seriously, though, I find it sort of cute. I suppose it can join the other alliterative places like the fat farm and the funny farm. I was also brought up on "Old People's (or Folks') Home", but these days they're called Senior Citizens' Homes or Assisted Living Facilities or something similar.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Reactions on seeing the thread title on the menu page:

1) Hah! That's novel. I bet it's a term to describe an old folks' home.
    2) I've never heard or seen it.
    3) Must have been coined by some smart-ass under the age of 50.
    4) I smiled at it, as it's funny.

Reactions after reading this thread: See above.