"write down your name" or "write your name down"?

< Previous | Next >

Savoir

HK
May I ask you native speakers, which of the above do you usually say? Would you say, "write down your name" or "write your name down"?

I've checked with the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and found only "write something down". Would someone confirm or clarify this? Thanks a lot.

• gasman

Canada, English
    I have no idea of the context involved, but what is wrong with a simple "write your name"?

Savoir

HK
    Thanks, helencas and gasman. Unfortunately, this line has been found not once but at least twice on my child's English worksheet. My instinct told me this is not natural, if not wrong. But if you're in HK, after hearing 10 out of 10 locals saying "write down your name", you would have doubts and think this is right. Thanks for confirming my doubts, I'll put down my comments on my child's worksheet to let the teacher know. Thanks.

Can anybody else confirm on this, so that I can have more backups on my doubts? Thanks.

Brioche

Australia English
    May I ask you native speakers, which of the above do you usually say? Would you say, "write down your name" or "write your name down"?

I've checked with the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and found only "write something down". Would someone confirm or clarify this? Thanks a lot.
    Both forms are in use.

There are many verbs like this in English.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I think there are different circumstances in which I might prefer either of these word orders. I agree with others that neither is incorrect.

Could you please write your name down for me?
    Could you please write down your name, address and telephone number for me?

< Previous | Next >