Write in longhand

sibu

I know that the expression "to write in longhand" means using ordinary handwriting (as opposed to shorthand, typing, or printing). Is it a little dated? I have come across examples like this:

"J.K. Rowling writes her books in longhand."

Would it be odd/old-fashioned, however, to use this expression in the school context, for example, in a sentence like this:

"Please hand in your essays in longhand."

Would it be more appropriate to use "handwritten", "written by hand" and the like?

Thank you for your help!

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I will refrain from general comments, although I personally would not use 'in longhand'. However, I find your sentence strange. If anything, it sounds as though 'in longhand' describes the manner in which the essays must be handed in :D , as opposed to the manner in which they must be written.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I would imagine that the relevant distinction today would be 'handwritten' versus 'typed'. I don't suppose if you specify 'handwritten' that anyone will be left wondering what brand of 'hand written' you might be alluding to.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    When you consider the word "longhand" in isolation, it does seem dated but, when used, it comes naturally and sounds natural; probably because there is no real alternative.

sibu

When you consider the word "longhand" in isolation, it does seem dated but, when used, it comes naturally and sounds natural; probably because there is no real alternative.
    Isn't there? Let's be concrete: Imagine you are a teacher standing in front of a class of 13-year-olds: would you ask them to please hand in their essays in longhand / handwritten / written by hand?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Your alternatives are not equivalents.

longhand = in cursive script
    handwritten / written by hand = not printed from a computer (or similarly mechanically produced.)

Cursive script is not a "real" alternative as it is far too formal for most everyday uses.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It wouldn't occur to me to use "longhand", a word I haven't come across for many years. I would be a bit puzzled if someone used it to me instead of "handwritten, not typed".

I am puzzled anyway by your saying " most of students' writing (= note-taking) is still in cursive script". Do you mean handwritten rather than on an i-Pad or similar device?

Hermione

sibu

It wouldn't occur to me to use "longhand", a word I haven't come across for many years. I would be a bit puzzled if someone used it to me instead of "handwritten, not typed".

I am puzzled anyway by your saying " most of students' writing (= note-taking) is still in cursive script". Do you mean handwritten rather than on an i-Pad or similar device?

Hermione
    Yes, I do. After doing a bit of research on the Internet, it seems to me that the expression is only used in the context of writing literature, see link below:
    http://www.patrickemclean.com/2009/01/a-defense-of-writing-longhand-2/

Another example can be found here:
    http://januarymagazine.com/profiles/jkrowling.html
    "Not able to afford even a used typewriter -- let alone a computer -- Rowling wrote the earliest drafts of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in longhand."

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hermione
    Doesn't longhand go to the style of writing, i.e. joined-up; cursive, whilst handwritten simply means "not mechanically produced" and may include a series of individual letters to create the word?

Hmmm... to answer my own question - or not:

OED Longhand: "Handwriting of the ordinary character (in which words are written in full), as distinguished from shorthand."

Merriam Webster:
    handwriting: as
    a : characters or words written out fully by hand
    b : cursive writing

I'm with the Americans...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >