write off receivables

SFirst

Italia
When you "write off" receivables, do you "cancel them" or do you "amortize them"?
I am trying to find the right way for translating it into Italian.

• Parergon

Italiano, Italia
    Garzanti suggests cancellare; (econ.) ammortizzare: to - off a debt, cancellare un debito ♦ v.intr. e avv. » to write away.

However, following SweetSoulSister's advice it might be translated with "evadere". Does it suit your context?

SweetSoulSister

American English
    I don't know about "evadere".
    "To write off" doesn't necessarily imply that you did something wrong. It is perfectly legal to write off many expenses. Interest on a loan, for example may be written off in some situations. This word "evadere" sounds like "evade" which implies that you illegally avoided taxes.

pescara

English-USA
    To write off receivables means to determine that you will not be able to collect them, to cancel them, to give them a value of zero in your financial statements.

"Write-off" in the sense of a tax deduction does not apply in this context.

Jana337

čeština
    I think "svalutare" is more similar to "write down" (i.e. reduce the value) than to "write off" (cancel).

PAJAKI

italy, italian
    Dipende dal contesto. Generalmente, la voce di bilancio che in inglese appare come "write off receivables" è tradotta con "perdite su crediti" o nel caso le perdite siano solo presunte come "svalutazione crediti".
    In un discorso generale, riguardo a quello che chiedeva Elisabetta, si potrebbe dire "dobbiamo imputare a perdita il credito verso il Sig. X"

pepitah

Urano
    Ho trovato l'espressione a medical write-off. La frase completa è:
    "Do you know that Bill's a medical write-off?" riferita ad una persona che è in cura in ospedale. Vuol dire che questa persona non ha la possibilità di pagarsi le spese ospedaliere? O che ha una particolare esenzione?

elfa

English
    Ho trovato l'espressione a medical write-off. La frase completa è:
    "Do you know that Bill's a medical write-off?" riferita ad una persona che è in cura in ospedale. Vuol dire che questa persona non ha la possibilità di pagarsi le spese ospedaliere? O che ha una particolare esenzione?
    Without further context, I would say that someone who is 'a medical write-off' is someone who will either never get better or whom the medical services have 'written off' as being unable to be helped medically.

In the same way, when you say your car is a 'write-off' (usually after an accident), it means it is damaged beyond repair and therefore the insurance company has 'written it off'.

pepitah

Urano
    Thanks elfa, I think you are right. In fact the person is totally unconscious. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >