Writing Cottage

stellastar

United States, English
Hello, I am naming a vacation house in the woods, "Writing Cottage", but only in French, and would like the correct translation, and I would like to know if "Villa" is appropriate to use for this name? (small vacation house on a small piece of land).

Thank you inadvance, stellastar

• Cecily

French- France
    Yes, a "villa" is a nice house detached from other houses.
    I don't really understand "writing cottage". Is it because it is a place that inspires writers or that incites you to write.
    Is that cas, you cannot translate it the same way in French. You have to say something like : "villa de l'écrivain" for instance.

Hello, I am naming a vacation house in the woods, "Writing Cottage", but only in French, and would like the correct translation, and I would like to know if "Villa" is appropriate to use for this name? (small vacation house on a small piece of land).

Thank you inadvance, stellastar

stellastar

United States, English
    Thank you, that sounds good. Yes, it is a tranquil and creative place where I write (and paint). A lot people at the Lake have names for their cabins and I would like to start the name of our cottage with Villa. It was built in 1936 and has a very antique look with a beautiful two story stone fireplace in the middle.

Thank you so much for your time, stellastar

stellastar

United States, English
    Also, If I was to infer a place of "stability", would I use, "Villa de Point de Repare", using a double meaning for the "stone fireplace" in the middle of the cottage?

Thank you, stellastar

Yul

Canada, French
    Hi stellastar,

If it's going to be your own hideaway and if you are a woman then it should be "Villa de l'écrivaine" if you choose this appellation.

As for the pun, I doubt that anyone would catch it, though.

As for me, I don't get it at all. Do you want to play on "repaire" or "repère"

Yul

stellastar

United States, English
    Hello Yul,

Thank you for responding. Yes, it is basically a hideaway where I do a lot of my writing and artwork. I see the stone fireplace as a symbol of "stability", but, the main idea for the cottage is that it is for writing, peace and quiet.

I'm trying to be clever and give it a name to remember since it was built in 1936 and has never been given a "name".

Thank you so much for your time, stellastar

Moon Palace

French
    My modest two cents: 'la villa des lettres' ? There would be a pun in French on the word 'lettres' since it could mean letters as well as literature. Up to you..

< Previous | Next >