Writing "oe" instead of "ö"

driFDer

(A)English
(red = mistake, blue = better)

Yes, all verbs have to be at the end. However, often you would try to use the same verb for the listed things and then put it at the end only once, like:

in einer Bevölkerung, in der 55% Mittelschichtler, 20% Fabrikarbeiter und 10% türkisch waren.

I know its off topic but I noticed you corrected angelofmusic 101´s spelling of Bevölkerung and türkisch. Is the `e´ (bevoelkerung/tuerkish)not allowed in modern day German anymore? Some people may not have access to or know how to change their keyboard layout. I´m sorry to go off topic I was just curious.

• Henryk

Germany, German
    It's okay if you add an -e to signalize that you mean an umlaut. But you should only do it when you really don't have the umlaut at hand.

mgsth

Germany / German
    Writing ae, oe, ue is only used as an alternative where ä, ö, ü are not possible (like in a crossword). It seemed to be usual in this forum to tolerate the -e writing, but nevertheless correct it.

MrMagoo

Westphalia, Germany; German
    Writing ae, oe, ue instead of ä, ö, ü is not wrong. It would rather be a mistake to not indicate an Umlaut by dropping the "e" as in turkisch or Bevolkerung.

As it was mentioned above: The e-substitute is used when there's no possibility to write or type ä, ö, ü - but it's not a mistake.

Best wishes
    -MrMagoo

driFDer

(A)English
    As long as you have a number pad, you can make it. I'm pretty sure there's a thread about it on here.
    I am aware of this. I was stating however, that some people may not. Actually it is quite simple to change your keyboard in the regional language section on your computer so you don't actually even need a keypad.

Writing ae, oe, ue is only used as an alternative where ä, ö, ü are not possible (like in a crossword). It seemed to be usual in this forum to tolerate the -e writing, but nevertheless correct it.
    Writing ae, oe, ue instead of ä, ö, ü is not wrong. It would rather be a mistake to not indicate an Umlaut by dropping the "e" as in turkisch or Bevolkerung.

As it was mentioned above: The e-substitute is used when there's no possibility to write or type ä, ö, ü - but it's not a mistake.
    Jetzt, verstehe ich...alles Klar! Danke! :)

< Previous | Next >