writing on the keyboard without looking on it

blue_eyed_girlpl

Polish-hoho!
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how to define an ability to write on the keyboard without looking on it... Fast typing skills? What about adding to it some information on the fact that sb does it without looking on the keyboard? Does anyone know some fixed and commonly-used expression?
Thanks in advance :)

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering how to define an ability to write on the keyboard without looking on it... Fast typing skills? What about adding to it some information on the fact that sb does it without looking on the keyboard? Does anyone know some fixed and commonly-used expression?
    Thanks in advance :)
    It's called touch-typing. I do it and it accounts for the large number of typos I make in the hours of darkness.

tepatria

Canadian English
    He's not joking, we actually do call it touch-typing. I wish I had taken lessons in it years ago as most of my friends did in high school. I belong more to the hunt-and-peck group myself.

LMorland

American English
    Yes, it is! And I'm a speaker of AE, so it's a common term in both Englishes.

Here's a couple of everyday sentences:

"Is she a touch typist?" "Oh, yes, she can type 110 words a minute!"
    "Can't you touch type?" "No, I never took typing lessons in school."

Apparently it sounds funny to you, but think about it: it means typing by means of touching the keys, rather than by looking at them (or typing by sight). (Actually, the "sight" method is generally called, as tepatria noted above, "hunt and peck"; the term comes from the way in which chickens feed.)

For what it's worth, I've had to learn to touch type in two languages. At home my keyboards are English, but when I switch (electronically) to French keyboard mode my fingers must remember to switch the A and the Q, the W and the Z, etc., etc... and don't even talk to be about diacritics! :p

< Previous | Next >