Wrong

Oros

Korean
A joint session of parliament has been held in Austria to mark its annexation by Nazi Germany 70 years ago. On 12 March 1938, German troops marched into Austria and Hitler declared "Anschluss", or political union.
Chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer told the sitting that "no compensation can ever diminish the wrong that the Nazis did to our Jewish fellow citizens".
Later, 80,000 candles will be lit outside parliament, where Austrians cheered Hitler's arrival 70 years ago.
The candles represent the number of Austrian Jews and others who died at the hands of the Nazis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not comfortable with writing the following:
...the wrong that the Nazis did to our Jewish fellow citizens".
It should be something like 'injustice' , harm or persecution.

What Nazis did was wrong by any standard. Do you think it is fine to write 'wrong' here?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    "The wrong" is a standard phrase used to describe just such a thing. It is all-encompassing whereas "injustice", "harm" and "persecution" don't really capture the totality of "the wrongs" committed.

Just out of curiousity, why aren't you comfortable with the word? Is it a grammatical concern or the meaning?

Oros

Korean
    Thanks Dimcl
    I have not learnt to write the word 'wrong' in this manner. I don't know all those things in English. I am learning from you all.

< Previous | Next >