Wuthering Heights - Here we have the whole establishment ...

< Previous | Next >

nanami

chinese
Dear all,

'Here we have the whole establishment of domestics, I suppose,' was the reflection suggested by this compound order. 'No wonder the grass grows up between the flags, and cattle are the only hedge- cutters.'

Is domestics here means " servants", what is " whole establishment of domestics"?

Is "I" here stands for "Heathcliff" or "Lockwood"?

what "flags" means here? why grass grows up between the flags?

looking forward to you explanation. thanks

best regards

nanami

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You're right, domestics here means domestic servants, servants who work inside the house.

Establishment in this context means the complete organised body of servants - the set of servants considered necessary to properly look after the house.

Flags are flagstones - large flat square stones that pave the yard, perhaps. Without proper care and attention from outside servants (not domestics) the weeds grow up through the cracks between the flags.

My memory of the book is not clear enough for me to know who I is.

heidita

Banned
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    nanami said:
    Dear all,

'Here we have the whole establishment of domestics, I suppose,' was the reflection suggested by this compound order. 'No wonder the grass grows up between the flags, and cattle are the only hedge- cutters.'

Is domestics here means " servants", what is " whole establishment of domestics"?

Is "I" here stands for "Heathcliff" or "Lockwood"?

what "flags" means here? why grass grows up between the flags?

looking forward to you explanation. thanks

best regards

nanami
    May I suggest some corrections?

Does"I" here...

What does "flag" mean here? Why does grass grow ...

Looking forward to your ...

Nanami,

This may help you identify the narrator. It depends which chapter you are reading.

In Chapter 1 Lockwood is the narrator, and from about chapter 2 untill chapter 10 Nelly is the Narrator. Then from chapter ten until the end of the novel Lockwood is once the narrator again.
    From this I would imagine it's Lockwood, since Heathcliff is not mentioned as being a narrator.

LRV

nanami

chinese
    thanks for panjandrum explanation and thanks for heidita's correction on grammar.

also thanks LRV, with your instruction i will understand the novel better. thanks

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    A hedge-cutter is anything that cuts hedges: person or piece of machinery:)
    Or indeed, as is the case here, animals! ;) (OK. Admittedly, this is unusual. I've been trying to train my rabbits to mow the lawn without success ...)

Let me add my welcome to you too, Tracy. :)

< Previous | Next >