Wuthering Heights - thanked my stars...

< Previous | Next >

nanami

chinese
Dear all,

It's me again, coming back with a sentence from Wuthering Heights .

WHAT vain weathercocks we are! I, who had determined to hold myself independent of all social intercourse, and thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot where it was next to impracticable

I think the narrator has decided not to join any social activity, and he was criticizing himself for breaking his words, but I don't understand " thanked my stars, at length, I had lighted on a spot".

Hoping someone can give me some detailed explaination on this part. Thanks you.

Nanami

• Kelly B

USA English
    ...I felt very lucky that I had put myself in a position where it was nearly impossible to...

Note - I have changed the thread title to make it easier to recognize.

Kelly B

USA English
    I think I need more of the sentence to respond to that, but I'll try...

At some time before he went back on his word/changed his mind, he felt lucky that he was in a position where it was nearly impossible to [interact with other people?] Note the use of I who had determined to hold myself... and thanked... He felt lucky back then, but probably not now.

mariposita

US, English
    He is saying that he is like a weathercock, changing direction in the wind. At one time he did not want to interact with others and held himself apart from other people, but he is very thankful that it was impossible for him to keep doing this and that he was forced to change directions (and presumably have contact/friendships with other people).

It's a pretty metaphor: a person's life is driven by forces beyond him or herself, and sometimes these forces cause us to change in positive ways.

mjscott

American English
    I agree with mariposita. He determined not to socially interact. Afterwards, he was put in a position where it was impossible to keep that promise. Looking back at it, he was glad that he was put in the inevitable position of having to break his own promise to himself.

< Previous | Next >