Wuthering Heights - wuthering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemaramila

L.A
Spanish
What is the meaning of the title of this book?... Why Wuthering Heights. I have to write an essay and I need references on how to identify the meaning in order to write it. Help me. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cypherpunk

US, English
    Welcome to the forum. This is a grammar forum, so you'll have to seek help elsewhere.
    And, you really should read the book prior to writing an essay about it!

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    What is the meaning of the title of this book? Why wuthering heights? I have to write an essay and I need references on how to identify the meaning in order to write it. Help me. Thanks
    Hi gemaramila, and welcome to the forums!

I've never stopped to think about the meaning of "wuthering", to be honest. There are many northern English place names that come from fairly obscure, often Viking, backgrounds. In this case, however, I think Merriam-Webster online may have the answer:

Main Entry:wuth·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈwə-thər\
    Function:intransitive verb
    Etymology:alteration of whither
    to rush, bluster, hurl
    Date:1847
    dialect English
    : to blow with a dull roaring sound

By the way, I reached this definition quite easily from the Word Reference website, by putting wuthering into the Dictionary look-up box at the top of the page, set to English definition, and then selecting the link to Merriam-Webster.

I hope that is of use to you, and I hope you don't mind the small corrections I have made in quoting your post. The forum rules ask us to use standard punctuation, including capital letters at the beginning of sentences and a capital "I" for the first person singular pronoun. :)

EDIT: By the way, Cypherpunk is completely correct in saying that a wider discussion of the reasons for the book being entitled Wuthering Heights is beyond the scope of this forum. Hopefully I've stuck to giving a purely "English usage"-oriented answer!

Last edited:

gemaramila

L.A
    Spanish
    Welcome to the forum. This is a grammar forum, so you'll have to seek help elsewhere.
    And, you really should read the book prior to writing an essay about it!

I did read the book, but I did not find any correlations between the storyline and the title.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >