wypuklająca

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
Środkowe drzwi wiodące do biblioteki okrywała z obu stron wypuklająca się sztuczna skóra; otwierając, starałem się zawsze jej nie dotknąć.​

What does "wypuklająca" mean? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

• zaffy

Polish
    The door was covered with artificial leather, and its surface wasn't completely flat. There were some raised bumps/spots. You can see 'wypuklenie' in the tyre I've attached. I've also attached a picture of a door that the author might have meant.

Attachments

Last edited:

jgrabner

German
    you do not find it, because officially, this word does not exist. All dictionaries are saying that it should be uwypuklać, hence uwypuklenie, hence uwypuklająca. Suffixing the word with an u will give you plenty of results. A quick google search reveals 10:1 occurences for uwypuklenie vs. wypuklenie. Yet, for whatever reason, it is used for exactly the same meaning.
    I have not yet figured out why this happens, and why it happens in both directions, because sometimes, prefixes are also added that according to even the biggest PWN dictionaries should not be there.

btw., even more strikingly, my favorite reverse search engine sjp.pl considers wypuklenie as dopusczalne, albo wypuklająca as niedopusczalne w Scrabble, again, for unknown reasons. Probably it comes from the noun wypukłość and the stem is kept the same when it is used as an adjective.

Last edited:

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
    The door was covered with artificial leather, and its surface wasn't completely flat. There were some raised bumps/spots. You can see 'wypuklenie' in the tyre I've attached. I've also attached a picture of a door that the author might have meant.
    Got it. Thanks for the help.

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
    you do not find it, because officially, this word does not exist. All dictionaries are saying that it should be uwypuklać, hence uwypuklenie, hence uwypuklająca. Suffixing the word with an u will give you plenty of results. A quick google search reveals 10:1 occurences for uwypuklenie vs. wypuklenie. Yet, for whatever reason, it is used for exactly the same meaning.
    I have not yet figured out why this happens, and why it happens in both directions, because sometimes, prefixes are also added that according to even the biggest PWN dictionaries should not be there.
    I googled it as well, and got the same result. I thought I'd better ask just to be sure.

btw., even more strikingly, my favorite reverse search engine sjp.pl considers wypuklenie as dopusczalne, albo wypuklająca as niedopusczalne w Scrabble, again, for unknown reasons. Probably it comes from the noun wypukłość and the stem is kept the same when it is used as an adjective.
    That would certainly work. Thanks a lot.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Środkowe drzwi wiodące do biblioteki okrywała z obu stron wypuklająca się sztuczna skóra; otwierając, starałem się zawsze jej nie dotknąć.​

What does "wypuklająca" mean? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.
    "wypukły" means concave. "wypuklająca się" means actually the same - a rounded shape, cushion like. In older buildings doors were often padded and covered with leather in a way that you can see in the picture:

< Previous | Next >