wyzej dupy nie podskoczysz

Kaze

España
Hello!

I would like to ask if anyone knows an equivalent (in Spanish, English or Portuguese) of the expression "wyzej dupy nie podskoczysz" or at least if you could explain the exact meaning to me. Thank you very much in advance.

¡Hola!

¿Alguien puede decirme si existe algún equivalente (en español, inglés o portugués) de la expresión "wyzej dupy nie podskoczysz"? En caso contrario, ¿podríais explicarme exactamente qué significa? Muchas gracias de antemano.

Witam!

Czy ktoś mógłby mi powiedzieć, czy istnieje (po hiszpańsku, po angielsku lub po portugalsku) jakiś odpowiednik wyrażenia "wyżej dupy nie podskoczysz"? W przeciwnym razie, czy ktoś mógłby mi wytłumaczyć dokładnie o co chodzi? Dziękuję z góry.

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    I think this is like bite off more than you can chew, dar um pulo maior que a perna/ter o olho maior que a barriga, cagar más alto que el culo. I could be wrong, though.

fragile1

If you have for ex. to do something, to and that think is to hard, to expensive, to dificult, to steep, to messy, to tricky, to heavy, to nasty - whatever - and you know you are not able to do it or you are not able to gain it you can say "wyzej dupy nie podskoczysz". Colloquial it mean: you cannot do something impossible.
    Hope you understad tha base? You cannot jump over your arse.
    Is it enough specific :)

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think this is like bite off more than you can chew, dar um pulo maior que a perna/ter o olho maior que a barriga, cagar más alto que el culo. I could be wrong, though.
    The Spanish translation looks to me like a very good equivalent.:thumbsup: The English one isn't as robust as ours and the Spanish one.

Tom

Kaze

España
    Thank you all for your quick response!! :)

This phrase is from Andrzej Stasiuk's "Opowieści Galicyjskie", which I am supposed to translate into Spanish.

I think I get the meaning now. I quite like jazyk's Spanish version - which, BTW, I had never heard before, being a native speaker of Spanish. I've searched it on Google and it does exist, I guess they use it in Argentina. The problem is that my translation is for the Spanish market and I don't know if the Spanish will be able to understand the Argentinian set phrase. I have to think it over, but for the time being I will stick to "cagar más alto que el culo".

Thank you once again,
    cheers!

Kaze

España
    Dziękuję bardzo! Pewnie skorzystam ;)
    Thank you very much! I'll probably take advantage of your invitation ;)