Wyznanie wiary

Sara Lee

Chinese
Hi, everyone.
I came across a Polish term that confused me.

Wyznanie wiary

Here is the source link:
Wyznanie wiary - Google Search
I used the translator which told me that this term means confession of faith / faith confession
But I'm not sure whether it's correct.

Could you please help to translate it and explain the literal meaning of it accurately in English?
What does this term usually mean to you Polish?

• zaffy

Polish
    In the Christian church, the confession of faith is part of the mass. The congregation say out loud a prayer in which they confess they believe in God. This is the link to the prayer in Polish along with the English translation. That prayer is also often said by Catholics in the daily morning and evening prayer.

https://www.e-ang.pl/243,Modlitwa-I-believe-in-God.html

Last edited:

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Okay, Got it!
    Thank you so much for your help, zaffy~

Wyznanie wiary literally equals to confession of faith, right?
    o_O

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Hi, everyone.
    I came across a Polish term that confused me.

Wyznanie wiary

Here is the source link:
    Wyznanie wiary - Google Search
    I used the translator which told me that this term means confession of faith / faith confession
    But I'm not sure whether it's correct.

Could you please help to translate it and explain the literal meaning of it accurately in English?
    What does this term usually mean to you Polish?
    Why dere you confused? Did you expect something else?

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Hi, Ben Jamin
    Among English speakers, A "confession of faith" is usually a statement of one's beliefs, it just means that you've proclaimed your religious adherence, the affirmation or acknowledgement of one's faith.

But I don't know whether Wyznanie wiary means the affirmation or acknowledgment of one's faith,
    or admitting that one has done something wrong through his faith, something like repentance
    (or mean "if there is no faith, then there are no confessions, as faith is where confessions come from".)
    to you Polish?

wolfbm1

Polish
    According to the PWN dictionary "wyznać" has two meanings:
    wyznać — wyznawać
    1. «wyjawić jakąś tajemnicę lub coś ważnego»
    2. wyznawać «uznawać coś za prawdziwe i wierzyć w to»
    wyznać: sjp.pwn.pl
    Meaning 1 = to confess a secrets or something very important
    Meaning 2 = to profess, state that something is true and believe in it

"Ja N.N. wiarą mocną wierzę we wszystkie i poszczególne prawdy zawarte w Symbolu wiary i wyznaję (=oświadczam, wyrażam = profess, state) je, a mianowicie:
    Wierzę w jednego Boga, Ojca wszechmogącego, (...)
    WYZNANIE WIARY

"I, N., with firm faith believe and profess (= wyznaję, oświadczam) each and everything that is contained in the Symbol of faith, namely:
    I believe in one God, the Father almighty, (...)"
    PROFESSION OF FAITH

"Every Sunday through the Nicene Creed, we Catholics profess (wyznajemy, wyrażamy otwarcie) our faith in Jesus Christ and express our complete conviction to the Divine Persons of the Most Holy Trinity. "
    PROFESSIONS OF FAITH

Ben Jamin

Polish
    According to the PWN dictionary "wyznać" has two meanings:
    wyznać — wyznawać
    1. «wyjawić jakąś tajemnicę lub coś ważnego»
    2. wyznawać «uznawać coś za prawdziwe i wierzyć w to»
    wyznać: sjp.pwn.pl
    Meaning 1 = to confess a secrets or something very important
    Meaning 2 = to profess, state that something is true and believe in it

"Ja N.N. wiarą mocną wierzę we wszystkie i poszczególne prawdy zawarte w Symbolu wiary i wyznaję (=oświadczam, wyrażam = profess, state) je, a mianowicie:
    Wierzę w jednego Boga, Ojca wszechmogącego, (...)
    WYZNANIE WIARY

"I, N., with firm faith believe and profess (= wyznaję, oświadczam) each and everything that is contained in the Symbol of faith, namely:
    I believe in one God, the Father almighty, (...)"
    PROFESSION OF FAITH

"Every Sunday through the Nicene Creed, we Catholics profess (wyznajemy, wyrażamy otwarcie) our faith in Jesus Christ and express our complete conviction to the Divine Persons of the Most Holy Trinity. "
    PROFESSIONS OF FAITH
    It is important to mention that in the first meaning the perfective form is the main one, while in the second almost only the imperfective form is used.

< Previous | Next >