X are my <favourite /favourites>. [X = football team]

Treaty

Persian
Hi,

I want to express my passion for a sports club (X) by using the word "favourite".

1. X are my favourite.
2. X are my favourites.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I aim for British English.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I always thought that in BrE, the plural tense is used for the teams and clubs (and there are lots of examples in web for this).
    You will see both singular and plural used, depending on whether the emphasis in the writer's mind is on the club as an entity (singular) or regarded as being made up of players (plural).

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is a long thread on the issue: Collective nouns - a group of people + singular or plural verb

There is a discussion of 'team' that begins with post #21 on the second page.
    In general, people agree with DonnyB, and provide examples of both contexts in which each is preferred.

Added: Here is a second thread: Team: Singular or Plural?
    In post #7, JulianStuart makes the interesting point that the AE is not consistent in its use use of the singular with team names.

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    Thank you all.

Actually, the main point of my question is the plurality of "favourite". Given I use the plural verb "are", should "favourite" be always plural?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would use favourite in the singular. You do get instances where the number of the subject and complement don't quite match, eg​ 'bacon and eggs are my favourite breakfast'.

Wolverine9

American English
    Thank you all.

Actually, the main point of my question is the plurality of "favourite". Given I use the plural verb "are", should "favourite" be always plural?
    It would depend on how you phrase the sentence. "X and Y are my favourite (clubs)" is correct if that is the exact sentence you want. However, another possible sentence is: "Out of all the clubs I've been to, X and Y are my favourites." At least this is the case for AmE. I assume it's the same for BrE.

kool-wind

British English
    Since English doesn't inflect adjectives for the plural it's always going to be "favourite" if there is a following noun.

Favourite clubs, players, games and so on.

I agree with Wolverine9's example sentence, and I note that it's written with the BE spelling. ;)

Treaty

Persian
    It would depend on how you phrase the sentence. "X and Y are my favourite (clubs)" is correct if that is the exact sentence you want. However, another possible sentence is: "Out of all the clubs I've been to, X and Y are my favourites." At least this is the case for AmE. I assume it's the same for BrE.
    Thanks Wolverine. But my question is about only one team X (not with Y).

Since English doesn't inflect adjectives for the plural it's always going to be "favourite" if there is a following noun.
    But "favourite" is also a noun, isn't it?

For example, try google "Liverpool are my favourites" and you will get 4K+ results. I guess there are a similar number of "Liverpool are my favourite" (with favourite as a noun not adjective). Is there any difference between them?

Myridon

English - US
    you will get 4K+ results
    Google is tricky so that it can give answers really quickly. It's hard to determine exactly what these results mean. Notice at the bottom of the screen that there are only 5 pages. Try to page forward and it stops after 25 hits.

Treaty

Persian
    Google is tricky so that it can give answers really quickly. It's hard to determine exactly what these results mean. Notice at the bottom of the screen that there are only 5 pages. Try to page forward and it stops after 25 hits.
    Thanks. You're right. The total number for both is only about 40 (this may suggest using the plural "favourites" is more common as most of the singulars are adjective). The same is true for "Liverpool is my favourite" search (about 100 results). Maybe Liverpool is no one's favourite :D.

Loob

English UK
    Hi Treaty

I - a BrE-speaker - would normally use a plural verb for a football team, so the options for me are between
    Liverpool are my favourite.
    and
    Liverpool are my favourites.

Of the two, in most contexts I can think of, I'd be more likely to choose the second over the first. But it would depend on the context:).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >