x thousand, million, billion

wanderer

Belarusian
To my big surprise, I've been told that it is improper to say, for example, 10 thousands, or 10 millions... Could somebody give a good explanation why is it so?

Thanks a million. ;)

• curly

English - Ireland
    I don'tknowwhy it's improper it just sort of .. is,
    in any case if you are asking what the proper form is, one simply dropps the "s"

E.G. one million, two thousand

Although we do say millions, if there is no quantative amount, millions of pounds, thousands of dead

JamesM

To my big surprise, I've been told that it is improper to say, for example, 10 thousands, or 10 millions... Could somebody give a good explanation why is it so?

Thanks a million. ;)
    I have no good answer. :)

I do know that "10 thousands" makes me picture 10 individual thousands (such as 10 one-thousand-dollar bills on the table - nice image!), where "10 thousand" has an implied noun - soldiers, dollars, ants, etc. When you say "10 thousands", the "thousands" becomes the noun being described and the quantity becomes "10".

As I said, no good answer. :)

wanderer

Belarusian
    answering my own question, I've came to conclusion that these quantifiers(thousand, million and etc.) are singular because theirs preceding words are also singular. Ten, eight, twenty, as far as I know are all singular words.
    So maybe that's the reason...

What you, guys, think?

JamesM

answering my own question, I've came to conclusion that these quantifiers(thousand, million and etc.) are singular because theirs preceding words are also singular. Ten, eight, twenty, as far as I know are all singular words.
    So maybe that's the reason...

What you, guys, think?
    I don't think that explanation works.

For example, "I have two children." "Children" is plural. It's not "I have two child."

< Previous | Next >