Y a pas de quoi en faire un plat

• mally pense

England, UK English
    I presume this is in reply to a thank you, but an elaboration/variant of the stock Y a pas de quoi phrase? If that's the case, then perhaps it would sound similarly colloquial to say "That's OK, it's no big deal"? (Pinching the "big deal" part from Wildan of course, with thanks).

kiwi-di

New Zealand, English
    There's nothing to make a big deal about it
    I can't believe I'm suggesting a correction to wildan1 - but surely there's no need for the it at the end of the sentence? - There's nothing to make a big deal about.

Or just, No big deal. (A friend of mine used to make it even shorter: No biggie. :) )

FranceFall2007

English
    i just found the phrase again in the book...it was after people would ask fermina daza what she thought of the marvels of europe that she said "y a pas de quoi en faire un plat"

so if you say "y a pas de quoi" it means "no biggie"?? is that used in everyday language?

Cath.S.

français de France
    It does mean no big deal, but it is never (or incredibly seldom, shall I say to be on the safe side :D) used
    Mally Pense said:
    in reply to a thank you,
    Here is a typical context:

Il n'y a vraiment pas de quoi en faire un plat. Blague d'étudiants sans plus.
    No big deal, just a college students' prank is all.

Maybe also:
    No need to get your knickers in a twist

E.g.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist. If you don't like her that's fine. Don't vote for her.
    Pas de quoi en faire (tout) un plat. Si tu ne l'aimes pas c'est pas grave. Ne vote pas pour elle.
    [/i]

France Fall 2007 said:
    i just found the phrase again in the book...it was after people would ask fermina daza what she thought of the marvels of europe that she said "y a pas de quoi en faire un plat"

so if you say "y a pas de quoi" it means "no biggie"?? is that used in everyday language?
    Here, it is a dismissive remark:
    nothing to write home about.

< Previous | Next >