"Y" and "i" in Old English and Welsh

Margrave

Portuguese
Hi! In modern German the "y" sounds guttural like in "Typ" (tüp) while "i" sounds open like "Bild". I wonder if anybody can point to me any information about the pronunciation of the vowels "y" and "i" in Old English and Medieval Welsh.

Any advice is welcome. :)

Rgs

MG

• berndf

German (Germany)
    In modern German the "y" sounds guttural like in "Typ" (tüp)
    No it doesn't. It is a rounded front vowel. Nothing guttural about it. If English speakers try to imitate it, it often comes out guttural. But that is wrong.
    while "i" sounds open like "Bild"
    Bild has a short not a long i. Unfortunately vowel length is not always marked in German. Short ü is the rounded counterpart of short i and long ü is the rounded counterpart of long i. Short i/ü is more open than long i/ü. The vowel in Typ is the rounded counterpart of the i as in in lieb.
    I wonder if anybody can point to me any information about the pronunciation of the vowels "y" and "i" in Old English and Medieval Welsh.
    The Old English y was roughly like the German ü. If the short y was more open than the long y as it is in modern German and if so by how much is not known.

Last edited:

Margrave

Portuguese
    The Old English y was roughly like the German ü. If the short y was more open than the long y as it is in modern German and if so by how much is not known.
    Thank you for the detailed information, this helps very much.

Last edited: