y ha rendido en el mismo acto la protesta de honrar en toda circunstancia

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by scutellospora, Jan 3, 2010.

1. scutellospora New Member

Spanish-central america
    I need to translate this to english, (the hard ones for me are in bold):

... y ha rendido en el mismo acto la protesta de honrar en toda circunstancia...

2. rivereridanus Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English-United States
    I think this would be easier with more context. Do you have full sentence, and what is going on?

3. scutellospora New Member

Spanish-central america
    Ok. This is a certificate of an undergraduate degree, here is all the context:

"en el dia de hoy (-the student-) ha rendido la protesta de honrar en toda circunstancia a la Universidad"

I am not sure if the following would be accurate:

on today´s day (the student) has taken the oath of respect in any circunstance to the university.

I am not sure if "taken the oath" would correspond to "ha rendido protesta" and if "respect" fits for "honrar"

thanks

4. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    On this day (the student) has given his / her solemn pledge to uphold the honor of the University

Although this ceremony is virtually unknown in the English-speaking world,
    the above represents my best attempt to convey the same idea in a understandable and somewhat conventional form.

Best Regards,
    Dinis

5. rivereridanus Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English-United States
    You can use "respect" for "honrar," but in a document such as this, they would probably just use the translation "honor."

I would probably say, "On today's date, the student has taken an oath to honor the university in any circumstance/event."

or if you wanted to make it more flowery, you might say "on this, today's date, the student has taken an oath to honor the university in any and all circumstances/events."

6. gdiaz Senior Member

Valparaíso, Chile
    Chile - Español
    ha rendido la protesta (promesa?) no tiene ningún sentido...

7. scutellospora New Member

Spanish-central america
    Thank you very much, it is really helpfull!!!