y juela [híjuela]

NMChico24

English-US
Several years ago when I lived southern New Mexico (specifically about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Cd. Juárez, Chihuahua), I used to hear bilingual coworkers use an interjection "¡y juela!" or "¡íjuela!" or some similar spelling. The stress was on the first syllable.

It was used as a general exclamation, often for surprise, disbelief, humorous situations (especially when borderline sexually explicit or outrageous), and occasionally when expressing frustration.

My question is two-fold:
1) Does anyone know how this would be spelled?

2) Does anyone know what it means exactly? Or is it some colloquialism unique to that specific area?

Thanks in advance for the input!

• Yajaira

U.S. English
    The word wasn't "¡Híjole!"? I think I've heard of "¡Híjuela!" before and it was used in pretty much the same context as "¡Híjole!" meaning "damn!" but much stronger...like "son of a bitch!"

Last edited:

rocstar

México - Español-
    Hijo de la (chingada)...became ¡Híjuela!

Something like...Son of a (bitch)...
    It is used to express anger, disbelief, uneasiness..
    It is used all over Mexico.

Rocstar

Tonatiuh

Spanish, México
    The correct spelling should be: "Hijo é la", now correctly written it reads: "Hijo de la...". And it is the short form for: "Hijo de la Chingada", just as rocstar mentioned it. Many people in México use it to express anger, but in my case, I use it (and I hear as well) when something funny happened or in a sarcastic way: -¡Que Pedro compró un nuevo carro?! -¿En serio? "Hijo e lá".... Or also when angry: "hijo e la..." me las vas a pagar!!

God Bless!