yacht vs sailboat/sailing boat

< Previous | Next >

Shandol

Persian - پارسی
Could the terms "yacht" and "sailboat/sailing boat " be used interchangeably?
I'd like to know about the differences between the two.
For instance:
Would it be wrong to call this picture a "sailboat/sailing boat"?
1.jpg

Yacht - Wikipedia

Or as Wikipedia suggests it is just a "Cruising sailing yacht"!

Thanks in advance.

• Chez

English English
    All boats like this have very specific names, known to the sailing fraternity.

But for laymen, this to me is a sailing boat (I thing sailboat is AE; I wouldn't use it in BrE). Again, for non-experts, we tend to think of a yacht as a rather big, grand thing that film stars own.

Uncle Jack

British English
    The picture certainly depicts a sailing boat (BrE), and I would have no hesitation in also calling it a yacht. I think most native British English speakers would automatically call it a yacht.

Yachts in modern English don't necessarily have sails, and these are also yachts:
    1586538568199.png
    1586538590893.png

So far as sailing boars are concerned, the main thing that makes a sailing boat a yacht is having accommodation. This, for example, is not a yacht in any use of the word:
    1586539049944.png

However, there is certainly a grey area. Is this a yacht?
    1586539113849.png

london calling

UK English

Shandol

Persian - پارسی
    The picture certainly depicts a sailing boat (BrE), and I would have no hesitation in also calling it a yacht. I think most native British English speakers would automatically call it a yacht.

Yachts in modern English don't necessarily have sails, and these are also yachts:
    1586538568199.png
    1586538590893.png

So far as sailing boars are concerned, the main thing that makes a sailing boat a yacht is having accommodation. This, for example, is not a yacht in any use of the word:
    1586539049944.png

However, there is certainly a grey area. Is this a yacht?
    1586539113849.png
    Thanks Uncle Jack. You clarified the matter very well.

< Previous | Next >