yawls neighbourhood

< Previous | Next >

Karmele3

Spanish - Spain
Hi,
I´m reading the lyrics of the song "Thriller" and I cannot understand the meaning of "yawls neighbourhood" within this context:
"Creatures crawl in search of blood
to terrorize yawls neighbourhood"

I know that a yawl is a sort of vessel and, as a verb, it means "to emit long loud cries". However, I cannot quite get the meaning of "yawls". Is it a corruption of "your"??

Thanks for your help!

• Brioche

Australia English
    yawls = y'all's

Y'all, contracted from "you all", is a non-standard/dialect plural form for you.
    It's fairly common in the US, particularly in the South.

It's similar to "youse" /ju:z/ which is used in BE and Commonwealth English.

y'all's neighborhood = your neighborhood

mplsray

Hi,
    I´m reading the lyrics of the song "Thriller" and I cannot understand the meaning of "yawls neighbourhood" within this context:
    "Creatures crawl in search of blood
    to terrorize yawls neighbourhood"

I know that a yawl is a sort of vessel and, as a verb, it means "to emit long loud cries". However, I cannot quite get the meaning of "yawls". Is it a corruption of "your"??

Thanks for your help!
    I would add to what others have said that this is a case where a regional or nonstandard usage has a standard spelling, namely y'all's (based on y'all, which appears in the dictionaries that have the word), so that yawls should be considered a nonstandard spelling variant. (Compare ain't, which has two standard spellings, ain't (used in most writing) and aint (used in some academic writing on African American Vernacular English.)

I note that the second most common spelling of the word found on the Internet (although a distant second) is yall's. I have to wonder if the reason for this is that many people are leery of having two apostrophes in a word.

Addition: Note that where the lyrics of Thriller appear on the Internet, by far the most common spelling used is y'all's neighborhood.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >