"yet do they" or "yet they do"?

< Previous | Next >

qizi

Chinese
It is difficult for any of us in moments of intense aesthetic experience to resist the suggestion that we are catching a glimpse of a light that shines down to us from a different realm of existence, different and, because the experience is intensely moving, in some wqy higher. And, though the gleams blind and dazzle, yet do they convey a hint of beauty and serenity greater than we have known or imagined.
Could you tell me some grammar knowledge about those in blue? I'd prefer "yet they do". But am I right? What's the difference? Thank you.

• Valvs

Russian
    Such an inversion is not uncommon in shorter emphatic statements:
    "Oh boy, am I hungry!" (~"I am very hungry").
    But you rarely get to see it in longer sentences (at least in my experience). To me, "...yet do they convey..." sounds more emphatic and perhaps even more poetic than "...yet they do convey...". But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    In ordinary Present-day English, inversion is only used with negative adverbs: 'seldom/rarely do they convey'. In slightly older stages of the language, positive adverbs could also cause inversion. By the time of your text, this was a poetic way of writing, no longer ordinary.

< Previous | Next >