Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought . . . .

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
The quest was succesful, and the Dragon that guarded the hoard was destroyed.Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history, or earned more than a note in the long annals of the Third Age, but for an "accident" by the way. -Context from The Lord of The Rings-

Hi.

I got a question where I underlined in the quote, which seems to me a little strange and extraordinary-ordered structure.

As soon as I read it, I took it that before the battle was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many good deeds were done, all was won.

To my re-construction in my own understanding,

Yet, though all was won before the Battle of Five Armies was fought. . . .

instead the original quote of

Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought,

Am I good to rephrase it this way?

• shiness

Korean, South Korea.
    You are pretty good:) , but do you have a little more context? Preferably the sentence before this one, since it does seem a little strange.

Thanks,
    GEmatt

Of course, for the sake of your convenience.

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    The quest was succesful, and the Dragon that guarded the hoard was destroyed.Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history, or earned more than a note in the long annals of the Third Age, but for an "accident" by the way. -Context from The Lord of The Rings-

Yet, though all was won before the Battle of Five Armies was fought. . . .

instead the original quote of

Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought,
    Thanks.

Actually, your sentence doesn't mean the same thing as the original. The original is stating that the Battle of Five Armies was fought and Thorin was slain before everything could be won. Your version is stating that everything was won before the Battle of Five Armies, etc. You are basically reversing the sequence of events.

GEmatt

< Previous | Next >