Yiddish: באשערט

BelacSsomed

English
upload_2018-7-20_18-25-14.png
Does anyone know what that means in Hebrew? I took it from a youtube video using screen capture. I've looked at a bunch of different alphabets but none of the letters seem to match these symbol for symbol.

Moderator note: This thread has been moved from the Hebrew forum, since the word is actually Yiddish and not Hebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    It is in Rashi script, or perhaps a modified version of Rashi script called vaybertaytsch (spelling varies) and usually used in Yiddish documents intended for a female readership. It says "bashert," Yiddish for (approximately) "soulmate," an ideal or predestined life partner.

I'm curious: what was the YouTube video about, and what role did this image play in it?

Last edited:

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    It is in Rashi script, or perhaps a modified version of Rashi script called vaybertaytsch (spelling varies) and usually used in Yiddish documents intended for a female readership.
    1. Vaybertaytsh is not a modified Rashi script, it's a different script altogether that has nothing to do with Rashi script. The only similarity is that just like Rashi script was based on Sephardi cursive writing, Vaybertaytsh was based on Ashkenazi cursive writing.

2. This is Rashi script, not Vaybertaytsh. Although the tattoo artist messed it up a tiny bit in that the א shouldn't be connected at the bottom.

OP: In case you're curious to see the letters in ordinary Hebrew script, the letters are באשערט.

BelacSsomed

English
    I'm curious: what was the YouTube video about, and what role did this image play in it?
    I'm a chili head and there is this youtube channel called chasetheheat, he was doing a live stream and people asked to see his tattoo's and everyone asked what that one meant and he wouldn't tell us haha. :p

Anyways thanks a lot guys it was bothering me haha, I had to know :p

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >