Yiddish: געמסרט

minus273

Chinese - Mandarin
Hi, people.
I was reading Kafka's Trial in a Yiddish version, where the first sentence goes like:
A ponem az emetser hob Josef K. געמסרט;
"gemsrt"?
Is it a Hebrew word or there's an underspecified vowel here?

• Maayan

Hebrew
    Hi minus273,

I know this sentense in other versions, all meant to ridicule someone for trying to look like or act like someone else. The word געמסרט (or maybe it is געמצרט?) means "makes believe" or something like that...
    So, א פונעם אז אעמעצער הוב ג'וזף ק געמסרט can be roughly translated to: (someone)makes beleive like he's Josef K (Kennedy?).

CapnPrep

AmE
    The original German is "Jemand musste Josef K. verleumdet haben". According to this page the Yiddish verb מסרן means "report, denounce", and it looks like it comes from Hebrew מסר "give, transfer, deliver".

minus273

Chinese - Mandarin
    Thank you! This dictionary is great, pity that I don't know Russian...
    So according to the dic, it's pronounced: ма'сэрн.
    The word I was quoting should be read gemasert.
    Is this right?

Au101

England, English (UK)
    Hmmm...that's interesting, I stress that my knowledge of Russian phonology is almost nil, but ма'сэрн is transliterated as masern. The H is definitely not a t and the ge at the beginning seems to have, um, gone missing :).

minus273

Chinese - Mandarin
    Yiddish conjugates like German. So masern is the infinitive, and gemasert a form of the past particle.
    "Ge-" is lost in English.

Au101

England, English (UK)
    Ahhh, that will be it, I'm sorry I don't speak Yiddish and have forgotten most of the small amount of German I had I was merely transliterating for you.

< Previous | Next >