Yiddish: Shemozzle [schmozzel - shlimazl - shemozzel - shmozzel - shmozel - shemozel]

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
Hello,
In the context of a post match interview last week-end ; Paul 'O Connell, captain of the Munster rugby team said "I think we started off really well, and I suppose the schmozzel there, kind of put us off our game a bit, and we stopped playing." I know that it means a mistake or mess-up, which works well in the context of things not going according to their pre-match team strategies. My question is as follows - is this word from yiddish?
If so what is the etymology of this slang term ; is it perhaps for schmo, a variant of schmuck?

Post script : Perhaps it's just an Irish invention, along the lines of* the word schmilblick, coined here in France back in 1949 by Pierre DAC. *(Albeit with quite different meanings.)

Last edited:
  • rubidou

German
    first things that springs to my mind:
    שמוץ (dirt) which would be pronounced 'shmoots'

but then again, I rather doubt this word also applies to mess-up, (as in dirt by extension)

or maybe he said שלימזל
    (shlimaazl) = bad luck, misfortune?

L'irlandais

Guten Abend rubidou,
    While he definitely said schmozzel, and this distinctly means a mistake (things not going according to plan), I do still think you may have something there, with shlimaazl for bad luck.
    A corruption due to our broader pronunciation of vowels in Munster perhaps?

rubidou

German
    Bonsoir L'irlandais,
    yes ... I also thought there might have been some corruption as you call it, or some sort of mixing up of words.

Origumi, thanks for the link. מענין מאוד

elianecanspeak

English - EEUU
    I could not find "schmozzel" שמאזל in my Yiddish-English dictionary but found this in Wikipedia (List of English words of Yiddish origin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin):

Shemozzle (slang) quarrel, brawl (perhaps related to schlimazel, q.v.) (OED). This word is commonly used in Ireland to describe confused situations during the Irish sport of hurling, e.g. 'There was a shemozzle near the goalmouth'. In particular, it was a favourite phrase of t.v. commentator Miceal O'Hehir who commentated on hurling from the 1940s to the 1980s.

מאזעל "Mazel" means "luck" (from the Hebrew).

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Nice one elianecanspeak,
    I stand corrected on my original interpretation of what was said. He was clearly speaking about a row which broke out. (My bad.)
    Interesting about the Gaelic sports connection, many on the Munster Rugby team have a background in hurling & Gaelic football, so that explains where he picked up the turn of phrase.
    I believe your spelling is the correct form, over my earlier proposition of schmozzel.
    Cheers! much appreciated.

elianecanspeak

English - EEUU
    Current usage: I googled "shemozzel OR shmozzel OR shmozel OR shemozel" and got about 450 hits. 600+ more when I inserted a c before the hs. (Some were proper names). I went through a few pages and the pattern seemed to be that it was used to mean "a big mess". It was not restricted to sports, and there were a number of Australian posts using the word. I was interested in German language context, but found only 11 entries when I added "und der ist".

تريد بالفعل منع shmozel من مراسلتك؟ | حكيم – [automatic translation: Do you really want to prevent shmozel of your writing?]

OMG what a shemozzel it's going to take me a week to catch-up on all the antics going on here

Ich war morgens ein bisschen reiten und dann bin ich vom pferd gefallen … Wir sind dann halt ins Krankenhaus und die wollten mich für 3 Stunden zur überwachung da behalten...als wir dann schließlich wieder nach hause kamen, war das eigentliche schemozzel vorbei

This is the funniest misleading part of the whole shemozel. There have been litterally thousands, probably tens of thousands, of RODUMs submitted in that time. I've personally submitted probably a couple of hundred on behalf of ms soldiers.

Blimey, what a shemozzel. Not for me thanks. A couple of choruses of abide with me, a few lines by Christina Shelley

you've opened a can of worms here havent been back from the honeymoon 2 days and you've started a bloody shmozzel

The whole world cup shemozzel is corrupt

But a case of 'email schmozzel' requires putting the dates in order

Add in colloquialisms, slang, and four different dialects and you get a schmozel . Couple that with the fact that Gaelic has no relationship ...

In life, the lightest turn of a radio dial can make the difference between what sounds like a schmozel and what sounds like a beautifully crafted symphony.

Urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Schmozel (pronounced shmozil) gives a much broader usage: A universal word that applies to just about everything. It can be used anywhere, anytime.
    Schmozel (pronounced shmozil) over to my place for a bit of a schmozel. I'm out of money so I'm going to schmozel some from my parents.

< Previous | Next >