Yiddish: Unknown text

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by HershaleO, Jan 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HershaleO New Member

Hebrew
    Heavy-duty Yiddish/German talent required!
    The attached photograph is from a beautifully crafted bible that was given, in 1845, as a wedding present to a young couple in Vöhl, Germany and was later rescued from the garbage on the day after Kristallnacht.
    This bible was given to my mother in 1975, by a Catholic friend, in Frankfurt am Main, who wished this bible to return to Jewish hands!
    Now that I have it, I have been investigating the history of this family and would like to know what this dedication says. I do believe that there is a fascinating story behind this!
    I would appreciate any help whatsoever!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bibax Senior Member

Czechlands
    Czech (Prague)
    The last two lines are written in the Kurrentschrift for sure (the last line reads as "das nachts 1845"). The rest is quite illegible and probably not in Kurrentschrift.

Das ist eine undeutliche Handschrift.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    But what is that supposed to mean?

4. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    For the German lines in Kurrentschrift you could ask in the German forum. There are some experts over there.
    Maybe it's "des Nachts" (at night).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
  5. bibax Senior Member

Czechlands
    Czech (Prague)
    You're right. It is often difficult to distinguish 'a' and 'e' in a handwriting (though their prescribed standard forms in the Kurrentschrift are distinct).

I was confused as the noun Nacht is feminine (in der Nacht). The temporal adverb is usually written 'nachts' (= nights, at/during night; similarly 'tags' = during day) and needs no article. The expression 'des Nachts' seems to be an oddity of the German grammar.

I can also decipher the suffix -heit in the middle of the line above. And that's all.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. AnythingGoes Senior Member

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I showed this to my 93-year-old father. His first language was Yiddish and he was educated at a yeshiva. Sadly though, he could only recognize one or two words. He said it was a form of handwriting he's not familiar with.

You could try contacting the Yiddish Book Center.