Yo tampoco

Richard Dick

Español - Mexico
¡Hola!

¿Cuál palabra es la correcta para responder, en mis ejemplos (queriendo decir "yo tampoco")? ¿Neither o either?

Mis ejemplos e intentos:
- I don't know how to run this machine.

+ Me neither. (informal).:tick:

+ Me either. (informal).:cross:

Thanks!

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Note that the structure is "Neither [also GB "Nor"] + (repeat the auxiliary of the question, or if it's in the present or past simple 'does/do/did') +subject pronoun". (ejemplo: "We've never been there." - "Neither have we.")

And Welcome & Bienvenido, Richard Dick!

gengo

American English
    + Me neither. (informal)

+ Me either. (informal)
    As someone who cares about language, I always say it the way Agró has recommended (neither do I). However, it is very popular to use both of the above forms. In fact, I may be in the minority among native speakers on this one. And I would say that both of the above (me either/neither) seem to be used about equally often, and there is no difference in meaning.

Therefore, I recommend that you try to use the correct form, but learn the other forms because you certainly will hear them often.

dauda98

United States
    :)
    As someone who cares about language, I always say it the way Agró has recommended (neither do I). However, it is very popular to use both of the above forms. In fact, I may be in the minority among native speakers on this one. And I would say that both of the above (me either/neither) seem to be used about equally often, and there is no difference in meaning.

Therefore, I recommend that you try to use the correct form, but learn the other forms because you certainly will hear them often.
    I don't think you are in the minority. It is the only proper way to say it. :) And yes, we hear "me neither" quite often in the US. But those who say "me either" sound like 3rd graders.

Sorry, I had say it. :D

gengo

American English
    And yes, we hear "me neither" quite often in the US. But those who say "me either" sound like 3rd graders.
    See this Google Ngram of the relative frequency of usage of "me either" and "me neither." The former appears about twice as often as the latter. Of course, this is only a search of books, and these terms are much more common in spoken language, and the search also undoubtedly includes other constructions, such as "She didn't give it to me either." But I don't share your view that the "me either" version is significantly worse (in terms of incorrectness, or of apparent education) than the other one. They sound exactly the same to me.

duvija

Spanish - Uruguay
    See this Google Ngram of the relative frequency of usage of "me either" and "me neither." The former appears about twice as often as the latter. Of course, this is only a search of books, and these terms are much more common in spoken language, and the search also undoubtedly includes other constructions, such as "She didn't give it to me either." But I don't share your view that the "me either" version is significantly worse (in terms of incorrectness, or of apparent education) than the other one. They sound exactly the same to me.
    :tick: :tick:

< Previous | Next >