you’re getting up there in mileage

prudent260

Chinese
F: Tomber was doing 20-to-life in a Moroccan impound the first time I saved him, if I recall correctly.
T: Speaking of recalls, you’re getting up there in mileage, aren’t you?

The transcript of the Pixar movie, Cars2:
Cars 2 (2011) Movie Script | SS
Finn, British spy car, and his informant Tomber, Italian car, were talking about how they met each other. There was no related conversation before and after this.

doing 20-to-life
According to the previous thread above, the connection is a pun on 'recalls,'
but I still don't know what getting up there in mileage means and Barque suggested I start a new thread for this.

Could anyone help, please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • pob14

American English
    “Mileage” = the number of miles that a car has been driven.
    “Getting up there” = getting to be rather high.

Tomber is telling Finn that Finn is getting old.

prudent260

Chinese
    getting to be rather high
    So Tomber said that Finn got to a high-ranking job because he drives a lot?
    Or was Finn going to be recalled because of his mileage?

:confused::confused:

And what would the difference be if the sentence were getting up there in miles?

Thank you

Last edited:

pachanga7

English - US
    Hello,

This exchange qualifies as male banter. Tomber and Finn are insulting each other in a friendly way.

Finn points out that he had to save Tomber several times (putting Finn in the dominant role). Tomber responds by making a joke about Finn getting old (putting Tomber in the dominant role).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    These are talking cars. That is fiction: cars cannot talk. They change "age" to "mileage" because that makes sense for talking cars.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It doesn't pay to think too hard about this. "Recalls" really have nothing directly to do with mileage.

Cars are recalled not because they have a lot of mileage or because they are old, they are recalled if it's found they have a design or production flaw in them from the day they were built. As Pachanga said, these two are just teasing each other in a fun way.

You could say he is getting "up there in miles", but as Dojibear says, "up there in mileage" is a better match for the usual expression, "up there (in age)."

"Up there" is a vague term meaning "on the high end of the expected normal range", i.e. well past the average of whatever it is. In humans, getting up there means you're getting old. It could mean 60 years old, or 70 years old or 80 years old, depending on the context. As a joke, you could say it about someone 30 years old (for instance, when comparing them to a teenager).

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    There is also a cultural issue here. In China, old age is respected - at least in people, though perhaps not in cars. In some other countries, such as the U.S., old age is sometimes taken (not by me!) as a sign that a person can no longer do certain things. That is the the basis for teasing a person (or a car) for being old. The cars in the movie have many characteristics of people.

By the way, you might want to change the link in your post so that the part we can see is in English. Otherwise, a moderator may remove it (since this is the English Only forum) and we will be left with no link at all.

< Previous | Next >