You are a captive audience

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
"Untitled (You are a captive audience)" is the title of a word-based artwork by Barbara Kruger that represents the same words on the picture of two hands and a ring. It could be viewed here. Do you have any idea about the meaning of this title and these words? Does 'You are a captive audience" mean "you are condemned to watch"?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    In ordinary English, a "captive audience" cannot avoid being there, but isn't compelled (let alone condemned) to watch whatever it is.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not just a ring. It's a ring in the process of being placed on the finger that a ring is placed on during a marriage ceremony. I don't think that's a coincidence. What it "means", I will leave to someone else (except to say that a spouse could be considered a captive audience).

Nelli90

Italian
    It's not just a ring. It's a ring in the process of being placed on the finger that a ring is placed on during a marriage ceremony. I don't think that's a coincidence. What it "means", I will leave to someone else (except to say that a spouse could be considered a captive audience).
    I was pretty sure about your extraordinary intelligence.

This may help OP find the meaning:

"Another example can come from “You are a captive audience.” This work of art pictures what I presume a man putting on his lover’s finger a wedding ring. There is another version of it with dental work and a tooth being removed from a patient. This caption says people are so easily captivated by extreme versions of our emotions. The ring version shows how easily as a society people can be easily captured by emotions of joy and happiness. Now the same thing can be said with fear. The dental version shows the tooth being removed from a patient and without a numbing agent of some kind this would hurt a person quite a bit. People love emotions even the more dark and negative ones like horrified and disgusted."

Source: I'm not allowed to submit any kind of external links directly. It's waiting to be approved.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Another example can come from “You are a captive audience.” This work of art pictures what I presume a man putting on his lover’s finger a wedding ring. There is another version of it with dental work and a tooth being removed from a patient. This caption says people are so easily captivated by extreme versions of our emotions. The ring version shows how easily as a society people can be easily captured by emotions of joy and happiness. Now the same thing can be said with fear. The dental version shows the tooth being removed from a patient and without a numbing agent of some kind this would hurt a person quite a bit. People love emotions even the more dark and negative ones like horrified and disgusted."
    Please provide the source of your quoted text, Nelli90.

< Previous | Next >