You are a deacon.

bobitan

Japanese
The line is from Modern Family.
Jay gets jealous when a store clerk was trying to take a selfie with life-size cutout of Gloria(his wife) for her grocery store hot sauce display.

JAY: Miles?

MILES(store clerk): Oh, hey, Jay. I was trying to read a text. They keep the lights in here so low so they don't have to rotate the produce.

JAY: Don't give me that.

MILES: I'm sorry, man. I've been lonely since Reynetta left.

JAY: You're a deacon.

According to an English dictionary, a deacon is a member of the Catholic church who is in the position just below priest. That doesn't make sense in this context.
Can anyone explains what Jay means by "You are a deacon"?

• nike20008

French
    Deacons can't date and rarely remarry . I don't know if Reynetta is his wife or some girl he was dating ,but either situation looks bad for a deacon .

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Deacons are not just found in the Catholic church. It's a term used in Protestant churches too.

We'll need to know more of the background to interpret this.

bobitan

Japanese
    Deacons can't date and rarely remarry . I don't know if Reynetta is his wife or some girl he was dating ,but either situation looks bad for a deacon .
    Thank you for your reply. So I guess Miles is a store clerk/part-time deacon.

bobitan

Japanese
    Deacons are not just found in the Catholic church. It's a term used in Protestant churches too.

We'll need to know more of the background to interpret this.
    Thank you for your reply. I don't have more background info, but you can watch the scene here. It starts at 2:45.
    [...]

Moderator note: Non-allowed Youtube link edited out.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >