You are not afraid even a little?

< Previous | Next >

yuva

Banned
Arabic
I want to ask the person in front of me whether he is not even afraid a little? I specifically want to use the word 'little' because other person is acting like he is not afraid at all, not even a little and he is saying only I'm afraid. So the sentence below is the one I can think of, to ask him whether he is not even afraid a little. Is that correct?

You are not afraid even a little?

• yuva

Banned
    Arabic
    I think the words are all good. I would just change the order:

"Aren't you even a little afraid?" or "You aren't even a little afraid?"
    I wonder, this is how a native speaker will ask while speaking. This sentence looks like a sentence in written text book English. Do you speak the exact sentence if you ask that question to friend while speaking causally?

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I wonder, this is how a native speaker will ask while speaking. This sentence looks like a sentence in written text book English. Do you speak the exact sentence if you ask that question to friend while speaking causally?
    You have a good ear: the sentence, while entirely correct, does sound slightly formal. In a casual context, I'd be more likely to say "You're not afraid at all? Not even a bit?"

(And many, many English speakers would use "scared" rather than "afraid." But that, strictly speaking, would be incorrect!)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You have a good ear: the sentence, while entirely correct, does sound slightly formal. In a casual context, I'd be more likely to say "You're not afraid at all? Not even a bit?"
    I agree. I think I'd also make two questions out of it.

yuva

Banned
    Arabic

(And many, many English speakers would use "scared" rather than "afraid." But that, strictly speaking, would be incorrect!)

Thanks a lot. This is what I wanted. This is the way of speaking in casual dialog.

< Previous | Next >