the context runs as follows:
Welcome to the wonderful
world of parenthood.

You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

Thanks!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    It simply means that you're off on your journey as a parent. "You're off" means that your journey commences. I might say "I'm off to the grocery store" which simply means I'm leaving to go grocery shopping. "Away" means that you're going somewhere away from your present location.

psst

NA
    عربي Arabic
    It simply means that you're off on your journey as a parent. "You're off" means that your journey commences. I might say "I'm off to the grocery store" which simply means I'm leaving to go grocery shopping. "Away" means that you're going somewhere away from your present location.
    Many thanks, dear Dimcl, for the wonderful explanation!

So, "away" here means that you are going to leave/abandon/farewell the world of non-parenthood and are going to be parents, right?

Thanks in advance!

ABBA Stanza

English (UK)
    So, "away" here means that you are going to leave/abandon/farewell the world of non-parenthood and are going to be parents, right?
    No, the "off and away" refers to setting off on a (metaphorical) journey (through life) that begins when you become a parent. The "great places" they are talking about are the various joys involved in being a parent that are waiting to be discovered along the way.

Cheers,
    Abba

psst

NA
    عربي Arabic
    No, the "off and away" refers to setting off on a (metaphorical) journey (through life) that begins when you become a parent. The "great places" they are talking about are the various joys involved in being a parent that are waiting to be discovered along the way.

Cheers,
    Abba
    Thanks, dear Abba!

You see that "off and away" is one expression that indicates the commencing of the metaphorical parenthood journey. Could you and dear Dimcl kindly bring me a reference?

I appreciate your help ^_^

< Previous | Next >