You are so money

< Previous | Next >

antonio85berlin

spanish
Good afternoon everyone;

I would like to know what does the following expression mean:

- Dude, you are so money, you don't even know!

Well, actually what I'm really looking for to know is what does "to be money" mean. I have looked it up in many dictionaries with no luck, I guess because the expression is too slang to be accepted.

Thank you very much.

• Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    Hola Antonio: ¿podrías darnos el contexto, por favor? Podría ser que luce o se comporta como alguien que tiene mucho dinero pero sin saberlo...

antonio85berlin

spanish
    Well, this sentence is from Ryan, a character from the series "The Office".
    He looks very smart dressed, with a twelve o'clock shade, and smells really good and talks to his office partners with great coolness.
    (Also he is kind of the boss)
    So one of the employees (who is a suck up by the way) sucks him up by saying: Dude, you are so money you don't even know!

I guess for the context that to be money is to be cool, but I am not sure at all.

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    Es decir que se viste y se comporta como alguien que tiene mucho dinero (en este caso, debe saber exactamente que es así; es su estilo o en todo caso lo que desea aparentar).

The meaning is more along the lines of being cool than appearing like you have money. It's slang, which is why you weren't able to find it in any dictionaries. Online urban and slang dictionaries do, however, have forums on this expression. Apparently the phrase, "you're so money and you don't even know it," gained a level of popularity from the movie Swingers, and is generally accepted to mean hip, suave, or cool.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/money

< Previous | Next >