You are the student of our age or at the same age like me.

Kangnangee

Korean
which expression is correct? ~ when you are the student of our age. or ~ when you are at the same age like us.
Thank you:)

• sdgraham

USA English
    Neither of the above is correct ... or for that matter, a complete sentence, which always ask for.

Please provide a complete sentence and tell us what you are trying to say....:)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi Kangnangee,

Neither is correct, I'm afraid. You'd have to say "when you are a student of our age" or "when you are the same age as we are" or (informally and not strictly correctly, but heard all the time in spoken English), "when you are the same age as us."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Unfortunately, neither is correct. What are you trying to say, Kangnangee?

Matthew Offner

English- United States
    Hello-

"You are a student the same age as us"

"the student" refers to a specific/definite person. In general terms, if the student is simply "any student" then the indefinite article is best... "a student"

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It actually depends on what you're trying to say, and to whom you're speaking, Kangnangee. (Are you talking to a younger person, an older person, or someone approximately your age? And what is the rest of the sentence?) As SDGraham has asked, it will be helpful if you give us the full sentence in which you might use one of these phrases.

Kangnangee

Korean
    It depends; "age" can have more than one meaning. Can you provide some context? To whom is this said, and in what situation?
    Thank you:)
    From the student's interview to a teacher How did you study when you were the studentat the same age like us?

sdgraham

USA English
    When a student ask a teacher " How did you study when you were a student of our age?"
    Thank you
    In hopes of drawing this still duplicated thread to a close.....

When a student ask asks a teacher "How did you study when you were a student of our age?"

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    << Moderator's note: Duplicate threads have been merged.
    The resulting duplicate post have been deleted. >>

lgr632525968

Chinese
    Parla, you mean "How did you study when you were a student our age" is a correct version? Don't we need "of" here?

Kangnangee

Korean
    Yes, i wonder if it is okay that i don't use 'of' in the sentence "How did you study when you were a student our age" . Thank you for all the replies.

sdgraham

USA English
    Parla, you mean "How did you study when you were a student our age" is a correct version? Don't we need "of" here?
    A student of history is somebody who studies history

A student of politics is somebody who studies politics

A student of the Crimean War is somebody who studies the Crimean War.

A student of our age doesn't make sense.

Cagey

English - US
    Yes, i wonder if it is okay that i don't use 'of' in the sentence "How did you study when you were a student our age" . Thank you for all the replies.
    Yes, that is the way I would say it. :)

I can't explain why we don't need 'of,' but I wouldn't use it here.

However, I would say, "when you were a student of seventeen" meaning "When you were seventeen years old."

Cross-posted with sdgraham. I see that he can explain it.
    :)

Cagey

English - US
    The Googles Ngram graph of the use of phrases in printed books, shows only 'kids your own age'. It has no results for 'kids of your own age. CLICK
    [These are the results for all books in English. The results are the same if I select for American English or British English.]

What is said in spoken English may be different. 'Kids of your own age' wouldn't sound particularly strange to me, but I don't think I hear it.

< Previous | Next >