you are to leave

ullas84

turkish
''That is better! '' I said delighted.
''You are to leave the dolls alone for another ten days .I want you to rest,sleepand read.Then we 'll see''
But I could see that Rose was unhappy at these words.

Does ''you are to leave'' mean ''you are going to leave'' or ''you should leave??

• ullas84

turkish
    Can I give the same meaning [should but slightly with more authority] with ''going to'' instead of ''are to leave''?

You are going to the dolls alone for another ten days .

anthox

English - Northeast US
    Can I give the same meaning [should but slightly with more authority] with ''going to'' instead of ''are to leave''?

You are going to the dolls alone for another ten days .
    Your change has resulted in an ungrammatical sentence. You can't omit "leave" here because it is part of the verb phrase "to leave <the dolls> alone."

ullas84

turkish
    Your change has resulted in an ungrammatical sentence. You can't omit "leave" here because it is part of the verb phrase "to leave <the dolls> alone."
    sorry I have done a mistake while writing sentence .
    I meant;

''You are going to leave the dolls alone for another ten days'' .

anthox

English - Northeast US
    sorry I have done a mistake while writing sentence .
    I meant;

''You are going to leave the dolls alone for another ten days'' .
    The idea might be expressed this way, though it sounds like slightly less of an 'order' than "You are to leave the dolls alone." I think the original phrasing is more apt, but I'm not sure how to articulate the difference.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Does ''you are to leave'' mean ''you are going to leave'' or ''you should leave??
    It has more the meaning of "You are going to have to leave" i.e. you are obliged to / ordered to.. / I am telling you that you must...

See this definition of to be to do something from the Macmillandictionary.com:

used for telling someone what to do
    You are to stay here until I send for you.

"You are going to leave the dolls alone" sound like a statement of fact i.e. Rose will leave the dolls alone either by her own choice or because she is being told to. There is no indication of this being an order.

< Previous | Next >