You are very welcome!

Jing婧

Chinese(Mandarin+Wu)
Here is the case. When I would like to let someone know I am very pleased to help him or her, can I say "Feel free to come to me. You are very welcome?"
Is that expression too over?

Could you also tell me what do you say in this case? Thank you!

• srk

English - US
    You are very welcome is a response to Thank you very much. You would be welcome would work in your context because he or she has not come to you yet. You would (or will) always be welcome would also work.

Parola0

English-Scotland
    Personally I would say "you're always welcome" but you said that you are very pleased to help him/her then wouldn't it be easier to say "I am always happy to help" or "I'd be happy to help you anytime"

Hope it helps :)

srk

English - US
    I had forgotten that "You are welcome" is an unusual response to "Thank you" in BE. I suppose that "You are very welcome" would therefore not cause the idea of being thanked to occur to everyone. In AE (or at least for me) it would make the mind wander briefly from what Jing wanted to say.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I had forgotten that "You are welcome" is an unusual response to "Thank you" in BE. I suppose that "You are very welcome" would therefore not cause the idea of being thanked to occur to everyone. In AE (or at least for me) it would make the mind wander briefly from what Jing wanted to say.
    The last time I explained that 'You're welcome' can, in certain circumstances, be an inappropriate response to 'Thank you' in BE. it caused outrage in the States and what was very nearly a diplomatic incident.

< Previous | Next >