"You are welcome" shortened to "Welcome"?

< Previous | Next >

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
I heard two people's conversation. One person said "thank you, thank you." The other person answered "welcome, welcome." I know he is trying to say "You are welcome."

I am wondering if "You are welcome" can be shortened to "Welcome". I don't think so, but I just want to make sure.

Thank you.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This exchange sounds very strange indeed:
    'Thank you.'
    'Welcome.'
    For me, it has to be 'You're welcome.'

'Welcome,' on its own is usually a greeting, perhaps a shortened version of 'Welcome to my home.'

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I will say that I have heard 'You're welcome' coming out as 'welcome' before. (In the same way 'thank you' might come out as 'kyou'.) I wouldn't recommend it.

(I don't use it because I never say 'You're welcome' anyway. It's not my style and I've talked about that in other threads.)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I heard two people's conversation. One person said "thank you, thank you." The other person answered "welcome, welcome."
    It sounds to me as if that was a joke and the second person was deliberately mimicking what the first person had said and how they'd said it. Normally, as the others have said, we'd use the standard phrase "You're welcome." :)

< Previous | Next >