You are welcome to ask.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Someone thinks that I am an interesting person and she wants to ask me some questions but she is afraid that those questions might be offensive or intrusive of my privacy. I wonder if it's idiomatic in AE to say "You are welcome to ask" to mean "I don't care", "She can ask me any questions"?

Thanks a lot

• Radioh

Vietnamese
    Yes, you can say that. Though I'm not a native speaker, I have heard many native speakers say "you are welcome to ask if you have any questions".

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I would probably say "feel free to ask whatever you want," which is a little more informal and more idiomatic.

Silver

There is an idiomatic version "Any questions will be welcome", so I guess "you are welcome to ask" makes sense and is idiomatic. Let's wait for some AE speakers.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    There is an idiomatic version "Any questions will be welcome", so I guess "you are welcome to ask" makes sense and is idiomatic. Let's wait for some AE speakers.
    You misunderstand me.:) "You are welcome to ask" makes perfect sense and is idiomatic. I probably shouldn't have said that my alternative was more idiomatic, but it is less formal and is something one hears all the time. (Incidentally, while there are some differences in Canadian English pronunciation and vocabulary--as there are from region to region in the U.S.--Canadians speak AE.)

Silver

You misunderstand me.:) "You are welcome to ask" makes perfect sense and is idiomatic. I probably shouldn't have said that my alternative was more idiomatic, but it is less formal and is something one hears all the time. (Incidentally, while there are some differences in Canadian English pronunciation and vocabulary--as there are from region to region in the U.S.--Canadians speak AE.)
    Thanks a lot. I thought "You are free to ask" but I suddenly realized it might not work and I said "You are welcome to ask". I am not sure so I come here to ask.

Silver

Hi,

I have another question. If someone wants to talk to us in a chat room (I started the room) and he's a bit shy, but he wants to talk to us. Can I say:

You are always welcome to talk to us.

Thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >