You are welcome.

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello members,
In my textbook or dictionary, "You are welcome." is always written "You're welcome." Does this mean "You are welcome." is incorrect. Also, do you ever say, "You are welcome?" instead of "You're welcome." when you want to say "Not at all."

Thanks in advance.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is not incorrect, but it is less idiomatic - a native speaker is considerably less likely to say it, although it is possible.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "You are welcome", contrary to the BrE speakers, in the USA is indeed an emphatic way (partially agreeing with TT) to extend your feelings.

Nothing sarcastic at all, in my neck of the woods.

Odd to dissect such a basic phrase.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    "You are welcome", contrary to the BrE speakers, in the USA is indeed an emphatic way (partially agreeing with TT) to extend your feelings.

Nothing sarcastic at all, in my neck of the woods.

Odd to dissect such a basic phrase.
    Just to clarify, there is nothing intrinsically sarcastic, it's just that in British English we rarely emphasise such banal courtesies except to express sarcasm. So unless you know the cultural background of the person you're addressing it's best to emphasise your appreciation or enthusiasm some other way (by adding a second sentence, for example).

< Previous | Next >