"You are welcome"

xrn

Spanish
Hi, everyone.

A wealthy woman, who is a member of a resistance, opens up her house to the resistance members and lets them convene there for a meeting for the first time. As all of the members are chatting in the main hall, this woman comes down the stairs and says:
"Gentlemen. Mr. Reed. You are welcome."
Now I know that "You're welcome" means "Don't mention it", "No problem", "My pleasure". However, in this particular scene, nobody in the crowd thanks this woman. Nobody even nods their head as to say "Thank you." She just says "Gentlemen.", everybody stops talking and looks at her, then she looks at the leader of the resistance, greets him by saying his name, and then she says "You are welcome."

She has a genuine smile on her face when she says this. She is proud. She is happy. She isn't sarcastic or arrogant. You can see it in her eyes that she believes in the resistance and she is full of joy that all members are under the same roof. Her eyes are teary because of how proud she is. She lifts her chin up in pride and says "You are welcome." with almost tears in her eyes.

My question is, is there any chance on earth that this particular "You are welcome" simply means "Welcome" in this instance? Because it sure sounds like it to me. Or could it mean "You are welcome to go upstairs to the meeting room."?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    It is stronger than "welcome", which is simply a conventional greeting when letting people into your home. "You are welcome" means that you really are welcome; the person is saying how pleased they are that these people are here.

< Previous | Next >