you basically sign up for all of them

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
In the radio show..

Red versus blue, us versus them. Each side routinely demonizes the other side as un-American. You sign up for one issue-- the wall, the Mueller investigation, Colin Kaepernick, climate change-- you basically sign up for all of them.

Q: What does this 'sign up' mean here? Thanks in advance!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Without some background or context I don't think it is quite clear, but the speaker appears to be saying that people sign up to (=join) either the Republican Party or Democratic Party because they support one issue that the party supports, and then find that they are expected to support all the other issues that party supports as well. However, it is possible that "sign up" is used figuratively and that the speaker is talking about ordinary Americans who favour one or other of the two main parties, rather than party members.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Without some background or context I don't think it is quite clear, but the writer appears to be saying that people sign up to (=join) either the Republican Party or Democratic Party because they support one issue that the party supports, and then find that they are expected to support all the other issues that party supports as well. However, it is possible that "sign up" is used figuratively and that the writer is talking about ordinary Americans who favour one or other of the two main parties, rather than party members.
    Thanks for your answer.

Let me give you a link for that.

662: Where There Is a Will - This American Life

< Previous | Next >