you bet - I bet

scorpion01

"India - Hindi & English"
Hi, everyone.
I'm new to this forum and looking forward to improve my English, which has been my favorite language.
Please let me know the meaning and differences between these two
1. you bet
2. i bet

Thank you all

• GerardM

French
    Hi scorpion01,

Welcome to WordReference!

There are several meanings and expressions with bet... could you give us some context please?

I would understand better 1. You bet! & 2. I'll bet! which are 2 expressions.

I'm looking forward to reading natives' answers.

Last edited:

WordRef1

English - America
    It would certainly help to have more context; that is, where did they come from or what are you trying to say?
    However, I think what you mean are the usages where it means a hearty agreement of something. I think these come from the regular meaning of the word: bet.
    1. For example,
    -"Do you want to go get ice-cream?"
    -"you bet!" that could sometimes be heard as "you betcha" (phonetically speaking) and it means, yes, very much.
    1. I bet would be a shortening of I'll bet.
    -"When Bob gets home and sees this mess, he'll be angry."
    -"Yeah, I'll bet!" meaning hearty agreement. It is obvious that Bob will be very upset.

It is difficult to use phrases like this in text without a lot of context because it's usually said with a certain tone and could be used sarcastically.

Last edited:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi, everyone.
    I'm new to this forum and looking forward to improve my English, which has been my favorite language.
    Please let me know the meaning and differences between these two
    1. you bet
    2. i bet

Thank you all
    Welcome to the forums, scorpion01. To improve your English quickly, just follow the example of your own first two sentences: Start every sentence with a capital letter, and end every sentence with punctuation. Also be sure to capitalize the first person subject pronoun "I" at all times. I bet is English, while i bet is not.

In addition to the good explanations given by WordRef1 and ipl_001, there are other meanings involving wagers. You may find those in our dictionary. The look-up box is at the top of every page. Please select English definition for bet.

scorpion01

thanks a ton to all for you.
    Here is a context for
    you bet-
    Adam: do you party hard at weekends.
    Nick: you bet i love to.

I bet-
    Adam: hey that's a forbidding river, do you think you can swim in it.
    Nick: that's no big deal, i bet i can.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks a ton to all for you.
    Here is a context for
    you bet-
    Adam: Do you party hard at weekends.?
    Nick: You bet. I love to.

I bet-
    Adam: Hey, that's a forbidding river, do you think you can swim in it.?
    Nick: That's no big deal, I bet I can.
    In addition to being correct, standard English, the indicated capital letters are a requirement, to the best of your ability, in this forum.

GerardM

French
    Hi scorpion01,

Thanks!

These are the cases WordRef1 developed.
    They are 2 expressions used to emphasize: you could replace them by "sure" or "for sure".

scorpion01

I would definitely work on all my mistakes.
    This forum is just amazing. I'm very determined to improve my English, please let me know if there are other ways to improve my english.

< Previous | Next >