you better believe it

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VicNicSor, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:24 PM.

1. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    — It seems that one of my wife's best friends suddenly lost her husband. (...) So, naturally, she found herself cut off from her normal sexual
    relations, and, uh--
    — She turned to you and you comforted her. I understand, sir, you really didn't do anything wrong.
    — Oh, you better believe it. I was incredible.
    — I see, sir. I think I can figure out the rest.

All of Me, film

Does the boldfaced phrase mean "I did do something wrong."
    Thanks.

added: now I think he meant "You better believe that I didn't do anything wrong, because I was incredible.":confused:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:20 PM
  2. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Referencing the lines is difficult without the speakers’ names. Let’s call the first speaker Arnie and the second one Bill. The hike is that Arnie misunderstand Bill:

Arnie: My wife’s friend became a widow, but she still needed sex, so [i gave it to her].

Bill: [reassuring him] You didn’t do anything wrong [implying “morally wrong”].

Arnie: [thinking Bill meant “wrong in your sexual technique”] I sure didn’t! I was great!

3. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Ah, it didn't occur to me:) Thank you.

4. AnythingGoes Senior Member

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    You better believe it is a common way to pronounce You'd ("you had") better believe it in American English. It's a way to convey emphatic agreement with something someone else has just said.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:01 PM
  5. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian