you can get help if you are addicted

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

What is the place called where you can get help if you are addicted to either alcohol or drug and what is the verb used there what do they do with you? Cure?

Thank you!

• blue_jewel

Filipino/Tagalog
    I believe you mean the Rehabilitation Centers. This is where we bring our loved ones who need to be rehabilitated from alcohol and drug addictions.

:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Here are two specific titles:
    Drug and Alcohol Treatment Unit,
    Alcohol and Drug Addiction Unit.
    They don't claim to cure, they treat.
    You may, indeed, be rehabilitated.

Edit:
    ... but the rehabilitation centres around here are for those who have had serious injuries, strokes or heart attacks.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Some places have a Detoxification Unit ("detox") for the initial period of physical withdrawal and it may be followed by time in a treatment or rehabilitation unit.

gasman

Canada, English
    An inebriate home?
    What a wonderful term; one has visions of it leaning against the nearest tree for support, but no, the home is not inebriated, nor is it just plain drunk; it is a home for alcoholics or other addicts, and is usually referred to as a place for rehabilitation of addicts, or some such terminology.

timpeac

English (England)
    What a wonderful term; one has visions of it leaning against the nearest tree for support, but no, the home is not inebriated, nor is it just plain drunk; it is a home for alcoholics or other addicts, and is usually referred to as a place for rehabilitation of addicts, or some such terminology.
    Ah, so it's a North American term, is it?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    An inebriate home?
    Without context, that is a very unhelpful suggestion.
    The context you gave, later, tells me that this term was used in 1857.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Ego is looking for a phrase that is in current use.

Please take more care in future.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    How formal a word are you looking for? There are many casual and slang expressions for various aspects of the rehab process. Someone who goes through rehab to get over their addictions "dries out", "goes straight", "cleans up", etc.

veracity

My apology panj.
    I remembered this phrase but forgot the source where I read it. Now I can pigeonhole the word: I learned it from Orwell - Animal Farm.
    "Jones too was dead - he had died in an inebriates' home in another part of the country."
    I wrote it down to my dictionary as "an inebriate home" unfortunately not as "an inebriates' home". Do not expect me to be so sophisticated that I can remember a word from the 1800's that is now outdated. ;) I did not think that Orwell was a bit behind the times. :eek:
    Sorry guys!

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    My apology panj.
    I remembered this phrase but forgot the source where I read it. Now I can pigeonhole the word: I learned it from Orwell - Animal Farm.
    "Jones too was dead - he had died in an inebriates' home in another part of the country."
    I wrote it down to my dictionary as "an inebriate home" unfortunately not as "an inebriates' home". Do not expect me to be so sophisticated that I can remember a word from the 1800's that is now outdated. ;) I did not think that Orwell was a bit behind the times. :eek:
    Sorry guys!
    Perhaps the word was still in use in the 1940's when Animal Farm was written.

gasman

Canada, English
    I really don't believe "inebriated" is outdated, certainly it must turn up in courts around the English speaking world. I must admit that an "inebriate home" does boggle the mind.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    There is nothing at all odd about inebriate, inebriated.
    What is really odd is to refer to a facility for the treatment and rehabilitiation of those with drug or alcohol problems as an inebriate home. For me, it comes into the same category as lunatic asylum.

< Previous | Next >