You can put it in a regular mail

< Previous | Next >

JBPARK

"You can put it in a regular mail."

Dear All,

I am in the middle of writing an email and I am stuck with the sentence above, which I am not sure how it sounds.

What I want to say is the person can send it by a regular mail.

Is this acceptable way of rephrasing the idea?

or would there be any part of the sentence I could improve on, for instance, dropping "a" or switching it to "the"?
- just spitballing...

Thanks for your attention.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This is difficult to answer, JBPark, without more information. There are two things I would want to know in particular:
    (1) What is "it"? And what form is it in? (For example, if it's a photo: Is it digital? Or is it a print, on paper?)
    (2) What do you mean by "regular mail"? Some people might use that term to mean standard e-mail. Others might mean not e-mail at all, but postal mail (a paper in an envelope).

heypresto

English - England
    We never say 'a mail', it's always 'the mail'.

And, as in BE we tend to call it 'the post', I would omit 'regular' and simply say 'You can put it in the post', or, perhaps better, 'Please put it in the post'.

Cross-posted.

JBPARK

This is difficult to answer, JBPark, without more information. There are two things I would want to know in particular:
    (1) What is "it"? And what form is it in? (For example, if it's a photo: Is it digital? Or is it a print, on paper?)
    (2) What do you mean by "regular mail"? Some people might use that term to mean standard e-mail. Others might mean not e-mail at all, but postal mail (a paper in an envelope).
    Thanks, Parla, for going extra lengths to help me out.

It's a letter, a hard copy, and by regular mail, I mean regular postal mail, you know, the cheapest, slowest kind, as opposed to any type of express or priority mail.

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    In "normal speak" I would say these:
    Just put it in normal/regular mail.
    Just drop it in the mail.
    Just send it to me by/via snail-mail. (Slang?)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Thanks for clarifying, JB. I'm pretty much in agreement with Perpend, except since "mail" means different things to different people these days, if I were talking to a fellow American, I'd be specific and say, "You can snailmail it to me." If for some reason I wanted to sound more formal, I'd say, "You can send it to me via the USPS." (That's the US Postal Service.) If my correspondent were British (or someone elsewhere using BE), I'd say, "You can send it to me by post."

< Previous | Next >