You can't just roll up on my property and act like you own it

< Previous | Next >

Steven_

Chinese-China
The context is, one man went to another man's yard and they were arguing with each other.

The owner of the house said

You can't just roll up on my property and act like you own it.

What does " roll up" mean here?

I looked up in the dictionary and one of the meaning says "-arrive in a vehicle".
Another dictionary says :

To sneak up to (someone or something) with the intention of causing harm

roll up on - Wiktionary

My questions, in native speakers' mind, does "roll over" simply mean " arrive in a vehicle" or also mean " arrive with malicious intention"?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To roll up = to arrive casually or in a relaxed and informal manner. It often refers to a vehicle, but if it is used to refer to a person or persons, it is used as an idiom (or in its extended meaning). In your example, it is used as an idiom.

Idiom: "It was amazing! We had gone to a small, isolated pub and who should roll up but my wife's brother! We thought he was in Australia!"

The more literal (not an idiom) meaning is "to arrive" and its use would be:

"I watched from the window and saw a large black car roll up at the neighbours' house."

Steven_

Chinese-China
    To roll up = to arrive casually or in a relaxed and informal manner. It often refers to a vehicle, but if it is used to refer to a person or persons, it is used as an idiom (or in its extended meaning). In your example, it is used as an idiom.

Idiom: "It was amazing! We had gone to a small, isolated pub and who should roll up but my wife's brother! We thought he was in Australia!"

The more literal (not an idiom) meaning is "to arrive" and its use would be:

"I watched from the window and saw a large black car roll up at the neighbours' house."
    Thank you very much Paul.

If "roll up" is used as an idiom(such as my example and your example), what does it mean? I didn't get it.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is as I said: To roll up = to arrive casually or in a relaxed and informal manner.

< Previous | Next >