You come across only one in your career.

hack3rcon

Russian
Hello.
I'm reading Mafiaboy book and I want to know what does "You come across only one in your career" mean? Can it mean "The chance knock you door home just once" ?

Thank you.

• hack3rcon

Russian
    Please give us some context for the sentence. Also, please provide the authors' names.
    The group was apparently organized, criminal, and global-not to mention led, at least in part, by an eighteen year old living at home with his parents. Walker and his crew looked like the real deal. "You come across only one in your career," Kleintjes told The New Zealand Herald. Walker was presented as the very worst of the new breed of online criminals.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The "one" has to refer to something previously said. Otherwise the sentence makes no sense. The sentence is not an idiom. It is a literal statement.

For example if "Kleintjes" is a police detective and "one" refers to an international gang run by an 18-year-old, then it is a reasonable statement: most police detectives go a whole career without coming across even one "international gang run by an 18-year-old". It is unlikely to happen more than once in a police detective's career.

hack3rcon

Russian
    The "one" has to refer to something previously said. Otherwise the sentence makes no sense. The sentence is not an idiom. It is a literal statement.

For example if "Kleintjes" is a police detective and "one" refers to an international gang run by an 18-year-old, then it is a reasonable statement: most police detectives go a whole career without coming across even one "international gang run by an 18-year-old". It is unlikely to happen more than once in a police detective's career.
    Yes, He is a police.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    That's how I interpret it.

Walker (the 18-year old hacker) and his international crew was the biggest case Kleintjes (the detective) had come across in his whole career: he won't come across another one like it.

hack3rcon

Russian

Walker (the 18-year old hacker) and his international crew was the biggest case Kleintjes (the detective) had come across in his whole career: he won't come across another one like it.
    I guess "You come across only one in your career" is like a "proverb". It mean "The chance knock your life door once".

hack3rcon

Russian

Can you rewrite "You come across only one in your career" for me? Can it mean "He used all of his skill" ?

< Previous | Next >